Servings per recipe: 8
For the tapioca pearls
- 1 cup Just about Foods Tapioca flour, plus extra for kneading
- 9 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Brown sugar syrup
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoons water
- In a saucepan, combine the water and brown sugar for the tapioca pearls and bring it to boiling temperature. Then, remove from the heat and add ¼ cup of tapioca flour and mix vigorously until a thin paste is formed. Immediately, add the rest of the tapioca flour and mix into a thick paste. Pour the paste into a clean surface dusted with tapioca flour and knead until a dough is formed. Let the dough rest until you can handle its temperature.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and form a long thread, cut into little pieces, and roll them between your hands to form the pearls. Slightly dust them with extra tapioca flour to avoid sticking.
- Boil 4 cups of water at medium heat and add the formed pearls, let them boil for 6 minutes, then lower the heat and let them cook for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and immediately pour the tapioca pearls into an ice bath.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, mix the brown sugar and water and when the sugar is dissolved, add the drained pearls, and let them boil until the syrup thickens.
- Let the syrup cool completely before using it in your favorite iced milk tea. Enjoy!