Bite Size Pretzels made with Cassava Flour
Publication date: 2021-04-05 10:26:07
- 10 cup water
- 1 tbps baking soda
- 2 cup cassava flour
- 1½ tbsp baking soda
- ½ tbps of salt
- ¼ cup honey
- 1½ cup full fat coconut milk buttermilk*
- 1-2 egg yolks whisked with a splash of water ~ for brushing
- Salt for sprinkling on pretzel
- coconut oil for parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bring 10 cups of water and ? c baking soda to a boil in a large stock pot.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and coat with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl mix cassava flour, 1½ t baking soda and salt together. In a separate bowl whisk together honey and coconut milk buttermilk until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and work together til a sticky dough comes together.
- Separate into 8 smaller balls.
- Take 1 ball and roll into a long snake like log approximately 15-16″ long, shape into pretzel and pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining dough balls.If you find that the dough dries out a bit by the time you get to the last few, simply add in a bit more coconut buttermilk and work it into the dough. You should be all good to continue rolling them out after that.
- If water is boiling, turn heat off and remove from heat or turn gas off underneath. Carefully place one pretzel at a time into hot water for 10 seconds, remove with a flat slotted spoon or flat spatula and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pretzels/bites/twists.
- After all of them are dunked, use a pastry brush and give all of them a good egg wash, and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, let cool slightly before pulling apart and enjoying!! After you bake them up, if the egg wash has created a little edge around the pretzels you can simply use a sharp knife to trim it off or use kitchen shears.
- *to make coconut butter milk, add 1½ tblsp apple cider vinegar to a 2 cup measuring cup, then fill to the 1½ cup mark with coconut milk, let it set for 5 minutes, stir and use.
Others Uses & Benefits
Gluten free chocolate chip cookies with Chickpea flour
Oat Flour Vegan Pancakes
Cauliflower Flour Pancakes